This is a simple, speedy version of preparing paella that is totally yummy. To save even more time, buy shrimp that’s already peeled and deveined. This recipe also freezes well, so you can eat some now and save some for later! When I make this recipe, I omit the tomatoes because my daughter hates them, but with the tomatoes this is a truly beautiful, vibrant dish that's great to serve to company.
- 1 8-oz. package of yellow rice mix
- 1 c. frozen petite peas, thawed
- 4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 oz. smoked chorizo sausage
- 1 large yellow onion, ½-in. diced
- 1 orange bell pepper, ½-in. diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1-1/2 tsp. Spanish paprika
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ lb. medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- 2 Tbsp. flat leaf parsley for garnish
Prepare yellow rice according to package directions, but omit any butter the instructions might call for. The rice should be al dente, so you may need to undercook it just slightly. Remove the rice from the heat and stir in the peas; set aside.
|Quick stir-fry paella (sans tomatoes!)|
Return sausage to wok along with tomatoes and shrimp. Stir-fry until shrimp are just cooked through and pink; about 2 minutes. Add the rice and peas to the wok and cook, stirring until ingredients are thoroughly mixed.
Season with salt and pepper. Top with parsley and serve. Serves 4 and can be doubled.